I have been staying with The Voice for the last few weeks. His broadband connection hasn’t been working for the last 2 weeks. The inadequacies of Tiscali and Sky Broadband notwithstanding – between them they seem to think that a 4 week interruption to service is acceptable – is it only me who sees internet connectivity as a basic utility? The Voice maintains that I am exaggerating but I beg to differ.
- I got a new credit card on Saturday that I had to go to an Internet Cafe to activate
- I am moving house next Saturday and need to:
- rent a van
- organise parking
- order broadband
Aside from the fact that Camden Council are doing everything they can to encourage email contact, how is one to order broadband or book a van and have any confidence in the choice made without being able to browse the Internet at length and in comfort?
In addition to the ‘life admin’ necessities listed above, how about:
- Wikipedia is a vital support to most TV viewing, no?
- How long should I roast a shoulder of lamb?
- What is the best route from Fulham to Dulwich Village?
- Which tubes were running last weekend?
- Which pub shall we meet in which is convenient for London Bridge and Waterloo?
Ok, so I did find ways around most of the above:
- We didn’t look up what on earth that guy had been in before.
- I phoned my mother.
- I used the A to Z (Was it the best route? Dunno, but we did get there!)
- We relied on remembering that most weren’t so used the overland (which, by the way is not covered by my pay as you go Oystercard – even though Putney is zone 2. Ken? When are you going to sort that out?)
- We relied on The Voice’s memory – always a gamble, but it paid off. (The Ring, Southwark tube, it was OK).
I haven’t even added to this the fact that my Blog (which I am bad enough at updating at the best of times) has been even more neglected than usual!
Am I very spoilt or is the internet really rather handy in a lot of instances?