(Same instructions apply for remote: Gin and Tonic or Coffee Morning)
What is it?
By remote I mean more than two people who are in different places being able to see and hear each other on screen. (If there are only two of you then FaceTime, WhatsApp, Skype, Signal, Google Hangouts, etc as per usual).
What do you need?
Any computer, or laptop with an Internet browser. There are many browsers, the common ones are (in no particular order): Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer. When I say browser I mean whatever you use to go and look for something on the internet.
On a phone or tablet you will need to install the jitsi app. I have tested on Android and on iOS (Apple). If you receive a jitsi invitation and click on it both types of devices tell you what you need to do step by step. You don’t have to create an account or log in or any of that stuff.
- One person needs to set up the meeting.
- To set up a meeting go to https://jitsi.org/
- Click on the orange button which says “Start a call”
- A new tab or window will open. You will see an area where text is constantly changing.
- Click onto that text and add the name of your meetup. In our case Stitchandbitch. (Don’t use spaces).
- As soon as you press go another window will open and you should see your own face staring back at you.
- You can now share the url of your meeting with all the people that you would like to see there. The url is usually shown at the top left corner of your browser and will look something like this: https://meet.jit.si/stitchandbitch
- You can send your url to your friends using email, whatsapp, text message, whatever suits.